Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

7 Miracles 7/14/13



Before I start, Kobe is so cute!! I have the cutest nephew. He's so tiny, but I pray for him and the whole family every day. And it keeps me going and keep me connected to you all :) tell him I love him!!! 

So last week, you asked me to look for a miracle every day. When you told me that I was like, "Okay! I can do that! Easy." Haha I sat down with my planner on Monday night with a blank stare, I had no idea what "miracle" happened that day. The same thing happened on Tuesday, and on Wednesday. Finally, on Thursday, I had enough. How do miracles happen every day when you feel like every day is the same? Well, that's the thing. If I feel like every day is the same, then I'm wasting my time here. I decided to turn to my only resource: the scriptures.
The Bible Dictionary says, "Miracles should not be regarded as deviations from the ordinary course of nature so much as manifestations of divine or spiritual power...miracles were and are a response to faith and it's best encouragement...they were never wrought without prayer, felt need and faith...miracles are a part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. If miracles cease, it is because faith has ceased" And then I was referred to Moroni 7:27-29, 33-37, where it asks, "Have miracles ceased just because Christ has ascended into heaven", NO WAY (my translation for "Nay"). If we start off every day with faith in Jesus Christ, to do his will, then miracles will occur. After I turned to the scriptures, I turned to my second source: Sister T. I just asked her, "Sister, do you recognize the miracles in your life?" She sat there, and thought about it, and finally said "Yes." Then she said, "Sister Hogge, you're still here. You're still happy every day, despite what we're going through. We're patient with each other, and we haven't killed each other yet. Those are all miracles."
Miracle #1: I'm still here, and I have the ability to smile and be happy despite the hardships I'm going through
Miracle #2: I can still laugh really hard, which I found out on Monday when my  Zone Leader, Elder M., screamed so loud because a bug landed on him. I've never seen anybody so scared from a bug before, and it was the FUNNIEST thing. I was laughing the rest of the night, it felt so good to laugh again :)
Miracle #3: I organized a musical number for our mission tour with Elder Teh. I hate playing the piano, especially playing while their singing, but I did it. 
Miracle #4: We then sang, me as the only alto, and one verse just me and this another sister. Where did I get this courage to play the piano and sing in front of people? I have no idea...it must have really been a miracle haha.
Miracle #5: We have 2 baptisms and a wedding next weekend! At the beginning of the month we weren't sure if they would be progressing enough. But even though we had to push both of their dates back twice, they're officially ready. 
Miracle #6: I made it to 4 months of my mission, this past Saturday.
Miracle #7: I smiled all day on Sunday, despite my lack of enthusiasm to go to church this week. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. It was a miracle I made it through yesterday, but I did it.
So there you go mom, there are my 7 miracles this week. It's so hard to recognize miracles that happen every day, but I promise and I testify that they are there. And once you recognize them, you'll hardly recognize yourself. You have the ability to grow every day! So you should never be the same person :)
Thank you for giving me that challenge. It distracted me from the hard times I had, which was very much needed.
Thank you also for your extra love and support...it is still very much needed, and I find out on Wednesday whether I'm transferred, or whether Sister T.'s transferred. We've both changed so much, it's funny you don't notice it at all when you're going through it, but if these things had happened to either of us back home, we'd have given up by now. So despite feeling weaker since i've gotten on my mission, I know that I'm stronger because of what i've endured already.
With love from the Philippines,
Sister Hogge


Pretty cool!  Elder Teh from the First Quorum of the 70 toured the Tacloban Mission.  She's standing right behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment